Also today, Sparklight Business brightens enterprise WiFi, Eir bites into Apple TV, UK's small businesses suffer with poor broadband, Vatican on demand and CityFibre inks deal with DWS.
Achieving affordable, universal and quality Internet access across Africa by 2030 will require a $100 billion investment, on top of the public and private investments already made across the continent, according to a report the Broadband for All Working Group delivered at the annual meetings of the World Bank Group this week. African countries must bring approximately 1.1 billion more people online to reach ubiquitous access, the report said.
Sparklight Business launched Enterprise Wi-Fi, a WiFi service delivered over its fiber-optic network that's designed to provide corporate customers with fast, secure connections. Businesses get personalized design, professional installation and customization, along with a cloud-based portal and app, Sparklight Business said.
Set-Top Box Change Ahead at Eir
The Irish operator will adopt Apple's TV platform as its own. (Photo: Apple)
Irish operator Eir plans to use Apple TV as its main set-top box and supplement its original channels with those available on Apple's gear, including Netflix, Now TV, RTE Player and Apple's own service, according to The Irish Times. About one third of Eir's customers are triple- or quad-play subscribers, the provider said in its September 2019 annual report.
Across the Irish Sea, UK firms suffer from poor broadband and mobile services, according to new research by the Federation of Small Businesses. In "Lost Connection," its digital infrastructure study, 33% of small companies say download speeds are less than 10 Mbit/s and do not meet current needs, while 40% say speeds will not meet future requirements.
The Vatican will debut its VatiVision streaming service, chock-full of religious content, in spring 2020. Production company Officina della Comunicazione has 75% of the capital of VatiVision and the remaining 25% is held by Vetrya, an international firm specializing in the development of digital services and cloud computing platforms. They worked closely with Vatican Media, founded in 1983 by Pope John Paul II.
Digital Wholesale Solutions will use UK wholesaler CityFibre's full-fiber network to deliver its portfolio of Ethernet products and newly launched Fibre Flex service to its channel partners, the two companies announced today. Fibre Flex guarantees speeds of between 200 Mbit/s symmetric and 1 Gbit/s to channel customers in 27 cities (and growing).
After suffering many quarters of financial and broadband subscriber losses, Frontier Communications' bond owners are ready for dramatic change – including a replacement for CEO Dan McCarthy (pictured), Bloomberg reports today, citing several sources.
Verizon and Calix bonded four wavelengths in the lab, bringing Verizon closer to its goal of one unified network for multiple services, says Kevin Smith, vice president of network planning at Verizon, during Calix ConneXions 2019 in Las Vegas.
The ongoing debate around GPON vs EPON can get as heated as discussions around politics and religion, but both technologies offer some advantages over the other depending on the needs your network is servicing.
In this webinar, we will focus on the facts around the GPON vs EPON debate and how that technological decision is almost always made based on factors outside the technology itself.
In this insightful Light Reading radio show, Kurt Raaflaub, Head of Strategic Solutions Marketing, will outline the key service provider challenges, deployment considerations, next-gen Gigabit technologies, and service models to win market share in the rapidly growing MDU market.